Check out episodes of
ROGER, THE CHICKEN to see what all the nice people are saying.
• Playwright - Oct 2013:
World/Off-Bway Premiere ofEAGER TO LOSE, A FARCE IN RHYMING VERSE at Ars Nova. Written by Matthew-Lee Erlbach,
directed by Wes Grantom and Portia Krieger. Starring Tansy, featuring John Behlmann, Richard Saudek, Emily Walton, and Stacey Yen.
"...like the frothiest of farcical mock-Shakesperean cocktails...the gleeful spirit of the show is hard to resist."
"...a rated-R Comedy of Errors. This throwback comedy goes down like a glass of champagne."
"Playwright Matthew-Lee Erlbach demonstrated his talent for channeling a wide array of unique voices earlier this season, performing the one man multi-character show Handbook for an American Revolutionary downtown at the The Gym at Judson. He has outdone himself at Ars Nova."
"The most remarkable part of the show is the script by Matthew-Lee Erlbach, who effortlessly transitions between conventionally high and low theatrical forms...Erlbach works them together as one story-arc, playing them off each other as a fruitful, productive relationship."
"Heavy hitters like downtown darling Joe Iconis, director du jour Alex Timbers and the dashing Lin Manuel Miranda have risen to the drop of the theatre scene like whipped cream since their debuts at the midtown hangout. Matthew-Lee Erlbach seems to be no exception."
"Erlbach seasons his script with a heightened wit, edgy mien, razzle-dazzle braggadocio and contemporary funny. The result: a vaudeville show with 1600s ribaldry, Jazz Age belt songs, pasties-twirling girly show musical numbers...and pantomime." CURTAINUP
"Shepard Fairey, the graffiti artist and designer, has said "there's a way to be The Beatles, to have the smartest guy in the room and the dumbest guy in the room digging what you're doing. Eager to Lose is refreshing evidence that burlesque has the potential to have the smartest and dumbest guy (or girl) in the room drooling over what you're doing."
• Actor/Playwright - Summer 2013:
World/Off-Broadway Premiere of HANDBOOK FOR AN AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY
Written/Performed by Matthew-Lee Erlbach
Directed by Tony Speciale
Presented by Form Theatricals in association with Judson Arts.
"FEROCIOUS, HEARTFELT, CHAMELEONIC, AND SIZZLING! IT INSISTS WE RESPOND." - Helen Shaw
"REVELATORY! IMPRESSIVE, SURPRISING, AND BEAUTIFULLY RENDERED!" - Neil Genzlinger
"UTTERLY CONVINCING! I WON'T FORGET HIM ANYTIME SOON. RANKED ALONG WITH SOLOISTS ERIC BOGOSIAN & DANNY HOCH! AN ASTONISHING SHOWCASE FOR BOTH ACTING AND WRITING!" - David Finkle
"A COMPLETELY ABSORBING EXPERIENCE. JOINS THE RANKS OF THIS YEAR'S GREAT SOLO PERFORMANCES! A WELL-INFORMED, THREE-DIMENSIONAL PICTURE OF THE AMERICAN MELTING POT - A RARE ACHIEVEMENT IN TODAY'S BIPARTISAN ATMOSPHERE." - Hayley Levitt
Reading of SEX OF THE BABY written by Matthew-Lee Erlbach, directed by Michelle Bossy at Primary Stages. Featuring Marinda Anderson, Nick Choksi, Bryce Gill, Isaiah Johnson, Heather Lind, and Devin Norik.
• Playwright - May 2013:
Finalist for KEVIN LAMB, currently in development with Michael Berresse. Click here to read excerpt.
• Creator/Writer/Director - March 2013:
Creator,writer, and director for new overnight block for Nickelodeon's Nicktoons network, premiering summer/fall 2013.
• Writer/Director/Actor - March 2013:
Production for ROGER, THE CHICKEN, launching summer 2013.
• Playwright - Spring 2013: Workshop of EAGER TO LOSE, A FARCE IN RHYMING VERSE written by Matthew-Lee Erlbach, directed by Wes Grantom and Portia Krieger. Starring Tansy!
• Writer - October 2012: HAPPY SUNSHINE KUNG FU FLOWER returns Oct 12th for NYC Sketch Fest at the PIT. Village Voice Choice, Time Out New York Critic's Pick, NY Post Feature, and blacklisted by state officials.
• Playwright - August 2012: SPACE on Ryder Farm Fellowship.
• Playwright - August 2012: Williamstown Theatre Festival FreeWrite Residency.
• Playwright - July 2012: EAGER TO LOSE, written by Matthew-Lee Erlbach, directed by Wes Grantom and Portia Krieger. Starring Tansy; featuring John Behlmann, Amber Gray, Mallory Portnoy, and Richard Saudek.
• Playwright/Actor - May 23 - 730p at 92YTribeca: HANDBOOK FOR AN AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY directed by
Mark Wing-Davey. Co-presented by 92Tribeca and Truthout. Panel discussion to follow hosted by NATION reporter / Citizen Radio co-host Allison Kilkenny, along Mark Wing-Davey, Patty Dukes, and Matt Renner.
• Playwright - April 2012:
Roundtable reading of KEVIN LAMB written by Matthew-Lee Erlbach, directed by Portia Krieger.
• Playwright - Feb 2012: Workshop/Project Residency of EAGER TO LOSE at Ars Nova.